;e Maisto VW Van body has mostly blacked-out
windows that needed to be removed before I could get
started. Removing the windows was most labor intensive.
I got them out by drilling holes and then Dremel tooling
them out of the frame carefully.
Here’s the body post-surgery and sprayed in rust-colored
primer, ready for salt application.
A spray bottle of water and kitchen salt working their
magic. I added more to each paint layer.
Looking rusty! A “dirty wash” will further accent the
;e Samba had to have a surfboard
to go on top so I decided I would
make my own. I glued six slices of
styrene together and then carved
out a basic shape with my Dremel.
Once I had the basic outline, I had
to really shape this board. So I got
my belt sander out, and shaped
up a 1: 10 scale surfboard just like I
had seen so many times. Dipping
it in boiling water, I was able to put
a curve in it to finish it o;. A very
simple rack was made to look as if it
were made of metal plumbing pipe to
store the board on the roof. I needed
a sliding fabric roof to go under it,
so I installed a piece of fabric from
a BBQ cover that had been sitting
in the sun for years. Nothing beats
actual weathering for an authentic
Because the Samba is supposed
to look like an old vehicle, I needed
a solution to make the lights look
realistic. LEDs just wouldn’t look the
part so I ran 12V incandescent bulbs
o; a 6V battery pack to generate a
low-wattage glow appropriate to the
model.. All of this work was a pretty
big gamble, but I think it paid o; big
time in the end!
Cutting into the body
was tough to do at times,
especially when you’re
dealing with finished
With the incandescent bulbs installed, the V W is starting to get the right scale look.
Six sheets of styrene glued and shaped to
fabricate a 1: 10 surfboard.
No West Coast
beach bum’s V W
would be complete
without a vintage
Ron Jon Surfboard
and racks. ;e rack
is made to look
like it was made of